Sweet Potato Bun Hot Dogs
Looking for a paleo-friendly, or lower glycemic option for your summer cookout or baseball game? This is a fun and simple way to up the nutritional value of an American classic!
Yield: 2 hotdogs
- 2 links of Teton Waters Ranch Uncured Polish Kielbasa
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- Toppings: sautéed onions, yellow mustard, ketchup, kale chips, etc.
- Wash and scrub your sweet potatoes and pat them dry.
- Poke holes in them with a fork 3-4 times on all sides.
- Wrap each potato in plastic wrap, making sure the potato is completely sealed inside.
- Depending on the size of your potatoes, microwave them for 8-12 minutes—until they give slightly when squeezed.
- Remove potatoes from the microwave, and let sit until they are cool enough to handle.
- Cook your sausage in your favorite way (stovetop, grill, oven, microwave, etc.)
- Carefully, slice each sweet potato vertically down the middle. Only cutting about halfway down.
- Gently place the cooked sausage inside the cut you just made in the sweet potato. (You may need to use your hands to gently pull the two sides of the sweet potato apart a little more.)
- Add your toppings and enjoy!