Mushroom Chili Dog Recipe
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil or ghee
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 12 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 16-ounce cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup 100% Grass-Fed Beef Broth, we used Kettle & Fire
- Hot dog buns
- Garnish: Shredded grass-fed cheddar cheese
- Add cooking oil or ghee to a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium-high and sauté onion until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add red bell pepper and mushroom, and sauté until mushrooms are lightly browned and tender, about 5-8 minutes more.
- Stir in remaining ingredients, bring to a boil then cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours.
- When mushroom chili is almost done simmering, set a skillet over medium-high heat and cook hot dogs until heated through and lightly browned, rotating occasionally.
- Toast hot dog buns, if desired, then add the cooked hot dog and top with mushroom chili and shredded cheddar cheese.